Neighborhood Block Parties
Why Have a Neighborhood Block Party?
Block parties are a unique opportunity for neighborhoods to come together, get to know each other, and form networking relationships that strengthen the sense of community, promote safety within the neighborhood, and provide opportunities to meet face-to-face with your neighbors. Block parties can also be used as an event to strengthen a neighborhood association. Events like block parties help associations provide a unified voice that can better address citizen concerns or suggestions.
For more information, call (847) 531-7056 or contact by email.
Types of Block Parties
Block parties vary from a simple gathering in a front yard, to highly organized events involving street closures. Whichever type suits your area, we encourage you to make this a day to renew neighborhood relationships.
Use your imagination when planning activities that will make your block party memorable. Provide safe and fun activities appropriate for all age groups present. To help start planning your block party,
Top Ten Reasons to Have a Block Party
- To have fun.
- To get to know your neighbors and where they live.
- To increase the sense of belonging in your neighborhood and the City of Elgin.
- To organize a city-sponsored group such as Neighborhood Watch or a Neighborhood Association.
- To learn about your neighborhood's history.
- To start a tradition of getting together at least once a year.
- To promote networking relationships among neighbors.
- To establish friendships.
- To increase a sense of neighborhood safety.
- To provide a great opportunity to invite a city council member, school principal, or city staff member to your neighborhood.